Sunday, January 4, 2015

Why I got off facebook and what we're doing with all the free time.

             Making the decision to leave facebook was not an easy one. I have spent the majority of the last eight years of my life consumed in writing down my every move and my kids every moves for the enjoyment of my family and friends who live far away. I think some updates are good. That is why I'm going to try to update this blog more. I want my faraway friends to feel like they are still a part of our lives.
            The negative side of facebook came to me in the form of addiction. I realized that even the days I tried my best to avoid it, facebook would creep onto my computer and take over a majority of my day. I don't want  to spend my days consumed by looking over facebook feeds, reading crazy news articles, and taking ridiculous quizzes. Those things are all well and good, but I felt like that was all I was doing. I was also letting little things that complete strangers said affect days of my life. I would dwell over their words and allow them to put me in a bad mood. Other areas of my life were being affected because of the time and energy I was putting into updating my facebook feed. No longer am I going to be a slave to facebook.
            What am I doing instead? Well, I have a huge list of New Year's resolutions that are mainly based on spending my time with God, with my family, getting A's in college, and trying to feel good during the rest of my pregnancy.
           Part of my spending time with family is of course my kids. I'm really excited about what I'm going to be doing with my kids this week. Brenda is continuing with math, reading, memorization, and bible studies. Dominick will be starting something new. Three years ago, I went through the alphabet with Brenda when she was 18 months old. This included a letter a week and a field trip focusing on each letter. I think we all had a lot of fun with this and I am bringing this back for Dominick. This time around, I'm using a bible curriculum that is for very young kids that focuses on a letter each week, but not in alphabetical order. This week's letter is X and we will be learning that the bible is a treasure. I think Brenda will get a kick out of the activities, too and I can't wait to see her teach Dominick all that she knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment