Sunday, April 19, 2015

My Uncle Jimmy

        Yesterday, my Uncle Jimmy went to be with the Lord. My heart breaks because of this for several reasons. My grandmother has now lost three of her seven kids. A mother should never lose a child no matter how old that child is. My Aunt has lost her husband of over 40 years. I've been married for a short six years and I can't imagine being without Aaron. Last, this earth lost another awesome DeBerry. Most people may not understand this, but my family is awesome. I have never met another family like them. They are chill and loving and accepting and always there for each other and their friends. This describes my Uncle Jimmy as well. This earth will not be the same without him.
        One of my earliest memories of having a conversation with him was when I was in seventh or eighth grade. I was a new teen who of course thought I knew everything. Yeah, of course I was wrong. Our conversation was about relationships and terminology. There was a huge generational gap, so I was trying to explain what terminology was used in my generation. Never having been in a relation for more than two months and he was going on 25 years at the time, I see now just how wrong I was. Anyway, he challenged me to write him a paper explaining terminology and what I thought a relationship was. I started the assignment later that week, but quickly got sidetracked and never finished it and never showed him what I had finished. Looking back, he probably just wanted me to practice writing, but I also think that he cared enough to listen to what a teenage girl had to say on the topic of relationships. Why? I have no idea. 

Dear Uncle Jimmy, 
     I can write to you now and say that I knew nothing about relationships at 13 years old. In fact, relationships are hard and I am still learning. I pray that Aaron and I can gain wisdom from relationships like yours that last a lifetime and consist of unconditional love. 
     I also owe you my life. My mom once told me that you and Penny introduced my parents to each other which is how you are both my uncle and my great uncle. She loved saying that you were her brother and her uncle. If it wasn't for that introduction, my parents may not have ever met, never married, never had me and my siblings, I wouldn't have grown, I wouldn't have met Aaron, I wouldn't have 2 and a half beautiful children, and I wouldn't be in the happiest place of my life. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love you and I will never ever forget you. 
                                                                      Love,
                                                                    Malorie Scott






In loving memory of my Uncle Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment